Tips For Holidays/Breaks Away
TIPS FOR HOLIDAYS/BREAKS AWAY
As we approach the time of four-day weeks and public holidays, with some taking a break or holiday over this Easter period, we thought it best to give you some tips of what you can do to protect you, your family and your home.
For your physical building/home or unit in a complex or the complex:
- Get your alarm system tested, check your armed response if applicable, let your security company know you are going to be away.
- Where there is an electric fence, get the fence tested, cut away any shrubs or bushes that could cause false alarms or triggers.
- Ensure all your taps are closed properly and the toilets are not left running.
- Switch off the geyser and unplug all appliances including additional phone or laptop chargers.
- If there is a generator or inverter attached if not required to run emergency lighting where needed unplug this so there is not an unnecessary use during power outages or load shedding.
- Where possible allow for lighting to come on to create an illusion someone is home.
For your contents in the household:
- For any high value items like jewellery or watches, place in the safe or a secure area if not going with you as part of your travels.
- Ensure all valuation certificates are up to date and in your possession.
- Make sure all appliances are switched off and unplugged.
- Check with your insurance broker to make sure any items that are going to be taken with you are covered under movable items and have the correct cover in place on it to make sure if anything happens to it that the cover is adequate and the right cover in place.
For your motor vehicles:
- For those vehicles staying behind make sure they are locked and secured where possible.
- Where possible ensure they are not in an area where they can be damaged by storms or branches falling over in bad weather etc.
- For the vehicles being used, make sure adequate cover is in place on your insurance policy.
- Ensure the correct drivers are noted and make sure those drivers have their valid drivers’ licences with them.
- Check the vehicle’s windscreen, tyres, breaks and lights to ensure all is in working order or in order to not impair visibility on the drive or cause a hinderance to the trip that needs to be travelled.
- Ensure the vehicles service has been carried out, to make sure the vehicle is in the best possible working order.
Some tips on your adventures out and about:
- Keep all your belonging in a bag that is sealed and not easily accessible especially from behind.
- Never leave your cell phone or bags unattended at a restaurant or any venue.
- When consuming alcohol do not drive your vehicle.
- Be watchful and aware of your surroundings and stay alert.